This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 5 months ago by Tim Wainwright Fire Support NSW.

• Author
       Frank Gasparre
      Participant

Hi all
      Am new to the forum, but I am a contractor working in the Sydney region with a background in public sector management and also training.

I would love to approach the NSW Fire Brigades and RFS to work with them to come up with some form of accreditation and training to allow contractors to carry out pile burns on land in NSW for hazard reduction purposes.

With the right sort of framework in place it would reduce pressure on the RFS and NSW Fire Brigades with unburnt piles everywhere, and also provide contractors with an important tool for installing and managing asset protection zones in environmentally sensitive ways. Are there any interested professionals in joining together to seek a meeting to progress this?

Frank

Greg Banks

Hi Frank
      There is no formal training required for members of the public/contractors etc. in undertaking pile burns however the NSW RFS recommends they are undertaken according to the NSW RFS Standards for Pile Burning.

It is important to have the right equipment (handtools, water backpacks) and enough personnel on hand to assist, and of course assessment of the weather conditions to maximise safety of the burn. Those proposing to undertake pile burns should also ensure that their insurance covers liability should things go wrong.

If you want to do this type of work it would be a good idea to approach your local Fire & Rescue or RFS office about their requirements for contractors proposing to do pile burns on both public and private lands.

Are there any other contractors or others who have had experience in liaising with Fire & Rescue or the RFS about training for people wanting to carry out their own pile burns? Any advice for Frank would be welcome.

Greg

Jennie Cramp
      Participant

Hi Frank,

The Fire and Restoration E-News drew my attention to to your post. Further to the information Greg provided above, you may need to seek an environmental approval to undertake the burning. The type of environmental approval that may be required depends on whether the burning you plan to conduct is for bush fire hazard reduction or whether it is for another purpose.

Another consideration is that in many council areas, particularly metropolitan areas burning vegetation is prohibited under the Protection of Environmental Operations (Clean Air) Regulation 2010, except with an approval from the NSW Environment Protection Authority and/ or the Council. It might also be a good idea to contact the local council to enquire how they have been identified in the regulation.

The NSW Rural Fire Service have published a document titled Before you light that fire. It provides a guide for the ins and outs of the approval processes and what steps and legislation applies in certain circumstances.
      See: http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/12451/BeforeYouLightThatFire.pdf

Kind regards,
      Jennie

Bushfire Hazard Reduction Burning in Sydney

Hi Frank,

That is a great idea.

Bushfire Hazard Reduction Burning and Pile Burning is fast becoming a “lost art” in the community and is frequently moving out of the reach/capabilities of many land owners.

Obtaining a Fire Permit can often be a drawn out and frustrating process depending on the Area and Officers you may be dealing with.

With regards to the conducting of Bushfire Hazard Reduction Burning and Pile Burning, if a TAFE course were available for “Assist with Prescribed Burning” and “Conduct Prescribed Burning” this would be a great initiative for interested members of the community.

I conduct Bushfire Hazard Reduction Burning and Pile Burning in the Sydney area and I would be happy to invite anyone who is interested to attend my hazard reduction burns to gain practical knowledge and experience. We can issue a company certificate to you and if this experience could in the future contribute towards completion a TAFE award/certificate that would be good for the individual and the community.

If anyone is interested in gaining practical knowledge and experience with Bushfire Hazard Reduction Burning and Pile Burning you can contact me anytime:
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/firesupportNSW/

All the best!

Timothy Wainwright
      Director – Fire Safety & Training
      Fire Support NSW

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enquiry

Please send us an email and we'll reply within three working days. Regards, NCC Fire and Restoration team

Sending

Nature Conservation Council logo

© 2024

Acknowledgement: This site has been developed with support from The Norman Wettenhall Foundation

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to toolbar